This Simple Homemade Date Syrup is used in sauces and dressings to counterbalance spices, and other savory or umami tastes in whole plant foods. It's also used in desserts, like the Perfect Little Peach Cobblers—where it's combined with ground-rolled oats and cinnamon to provide the cobbler filing for fresh peaches.
This Simple Homemade Date Syrup recipe is slightly modified from Dr. Michael Greger's How Not to Die Cookbook.
This date syrup has only 2 key ingredients
- Dates, pitted (Medjool dates are recommended)
- Fresh lemon juice
How to make homemade date syrup
- If necessary, remove pits from dates.
- Place pitted dates into a small pot with water.
- Turn on the stovetop to medium-high heat, and bring to a gentle boil.
- Put a lid on and turn off the heat.
- Let sit covered for 30 minutes while dates continue to soften and cool to room temperature or lukewarm. Make sure dates aren't hot, because it creates pressure in the mini blender.
- Carefully remove dates with tongs and put them into a mini blender.
- Pour the cooking water into the same blender and add fresh lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth, about 30 to 45 seconds. You may need to shake the contents and blend again if it gets stuck.
This date syrup stores well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Being intentional about making date syrup
I'll be brutally honest with you. When I thought about adding syrup to the blog, I had mixed feelings. With so many people who struggle with sugar addiction, and the Daniel Fast not including "natural" sweeteners like stevia, maple syrup, and agave—it just seemed like a fine line to me. However, it comes down to intentionality and ingredients.
Making this date syrup requires intentional hands-on preparation. Specifically, removing the pits from the dates. Then, measure the water and simmer the dates. Finally, add fresh lemon juice and, blend all ingredients into a smooth consistency.
Processed store-bought sweeteners made in a manufacturing plant will sit on store shelves for weeks and months. Sadly, they perpetuate the auto-pilot problem many of us have struggled with when trying to break habits that don't serve us. Instead, this date syrup is made with fresh whole plant food ingredients—with fiber and other nutrients intact. In case you're wondering about store-bought date syrup... those options filter out the rich fiber in dates, so homemade is definitely best.
Frequently Asked Questions
Date syrup, when made from scratch, is among the healthiest sweeteners you can use. For starters, dates are an excellent source of potassium, and a good source of magnesium and Vitamin B6. Eating dates doesn't produce the high blood sugar spikes found in processed sugar. Also, making it from scratch retains all the beneficial fiber naturally found in this nutritious fruit.
Date syrup is a great way to sweeten desserts like Crustless Vegan Sweet Potato Pie, Amazing Cherry Oat Pizza, Best Chocolate Hummus, as well as the Perfect Little Peach Cobblers. It's also used in smoothies, like the Perfect Pear and Kale Smoothie. Date syrup can also help to counterbalance flavors such as spicy heat, such as the Yummy Raw Taco Salad. Some sauces, such as the Best Homemade BBQ Sauce, and Creamy Tahini Ginger Dressing also contain date syrup.
This recipe is so easy. I don't recommend trying to preserve date syrup for long periods. Instead, consider making a container as part of your meal prep once a week or every other week. If you find you're not using it as quickly, consider making half a batch next time. Either way, homemade date syrup stores fine in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
We hope you love this Simple Homemade Date Syrup recipe. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.