These tasty roasted chickpeas are one of our favorite healthy snacks. These delicious balls of goodness also go wonderfully on top of a salad. Packed with flavor and protein, these chickpeas are crispy, oil-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
These crispy roasted chickpeas have 6 key ingredients:
- Chickpeas (canned)
- Smoked paprika
- Ground cumin
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
Oh, Roasted Chickpeas—where have you been all my life? I have always been a sucker for crunchy snacks. So, when I embarked on the idea you can roast chickpeas that ended up as a flavorful and crunchy dish, I almost did a happy dance.
I love this Roasted Chickpeas recipe because the chickpeas are a blank canvas. All you need to do is add your favorite seasonings, throw them in the oven, and you have a delightfully crunchy and healthy snack in under an hour.
Nutritionally, chickpeas are rich in protein and fiber—great for taking the edge off between meals.
How to make these roasted chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Be sure to remove as much excess water as you can—this helps them crisp up while roasting.
- Add chickpeas and fresh lemon juice to a mixing bowl.
- Combine spices and toss with chickpeas.
- Spread chickpeas evenly onto a silicone mat or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for *30 to 40 minutes, until crispy. *Note: ovens vary so be sure to check your chickpeas about 25 minutes after putting them in the oven.
- When chickpeas are roasted and crispy, remove them from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
Enjoy this healthy protein-packed snack within two days of making it.
Switch things up and try subbing out your popcorn on movie night for these bad boys; you will be pleasantly surprised. You can also add these delicious balls of goodness to the Curry Quinoa Chickpea Salad or Easy Rainbow Salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, especially when they don't have added oil or sugar. This recipe uses only chickpeas, lemon juice and spices, so it's protein-packed, low in sodium and low in fat (no oil).
Yes, they can be provided they don't have added oil. You see, oil is very calorie-dense and can slow or even thwart weight loss goals. However, these roasted chickpeas are oil-free. They are high in protein and fiber, which helps you to feel full. Try adding these roasted chickpeas to a large rainbow salad, for a delicious, satisfying and figure-friendly meal.
Yes, absolutely. If you're not using canned chickpeas, be sure to cook dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans) beforehand. To learn more about the different ways to cook chickpeas, check out this post, How to Cook Dried Beans.
These roasted chickpeas are not high in calories, because this recipe omits oil. Oil is calorie-dense. One tablespoon is 120 calories. Since this recipe uses lemon juice, which is 3 calories per tablespoon, this recipe will help support achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.
For other snack ideas, check these out:
- Vegan Nachos,
- The Best Guacamole You'll Ever Eat
- Super Easy Salsa
- Crispy Oven-Baked Tortilla Chips
- Jalapeno Poppers
We hope you love this roasted chickpeas recipe. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.