This stick-to-your-ribs Hearty Breakfast Burrito is satisfying and full of flavor but won't leave you feeling sluggish. Made with black beans, potatoes, and veggies, this hot breakfast option is oil-free, soy-free, and nut-free. These burritos are also freezer-friendly, making it a great meal prep option for a fast, tasty, on-the-go breakfast option.
We love Ezekiel Food for Life brand sprouted grain tortilla, found in the freezer section of most grocery stores. There are several sauce options that work well with this dish: Guacamole, Cashew Cream, Avocado Cilantro Lime, Salsa, or Sersie's Favorite Cheese Sauce. Or you can keep it simple and just add sliced avocado and fresh lime juice or just some hot pepper sauce.
Hearty Breakfast Burrito has 12 ingredients:
- Sprouted grain tortillas
- Potato, Yukon gold or red
- Red bell pepper (orange, yellow or green work well too)
- Black beans
- Coconut aminos
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Spinach (or arugula)
- Fresh cilantro
How to prepare Hearty Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread diced potatoes over a shallow parchment- or silicone mat-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Potatoes should be cooked through and tender (not overly crispy).
- While potatoes are baking, preheat a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chopped bell pepper and garlic, and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in ground cumin and ground chili powder—Cook for another minute or two.
- Add one can of drained and rinsed black beans and coconut aminos. Stir well to incorporate and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add fresh baby spinach and chopped cilantro. Stir, put the lid, then turn off the heat to allow spinach to wilt.
- Take the baked diced potatoes and fold them into the bean and veggie mixture. Add fresh lime juice and give it a stir. If you like it spicy, add in the optional pinch of cayenne or to taste.
- To prepare the tortillas, put them on a plate and cover them with a clean, damp paper towel. Put them in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to warm. This softens the tortillas making them easier to fold without breaking apart.
- Finally, add about a cup of the mixture to the center of the burrito. If using a sauce, you can either add it to the burrito before folding or use it more for dipping. Carefully fold the tortilla over twice. If you're taking this breakfast burrito to-go or freezing it for later as part of your meal prep, take parchment paper and carefully wrap each burrito.
Store leftover burritos wrapped and stored in the refrigerator for two days or in the freezer for four months.
Enjoy this delicious breakfast burrito with a simple green salad, and a refreshing sparkling orange juice: ½ orange juice and ½ sparkling water plus ice. This meal also goes beautifully with a Honeydew Blackberry Mango Smoothie or Superfood Smoothie, especially after a workout.
We hope you love this Hearty Breakfast Burrito recipe. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan with recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.