This Spicy Chipotle Cream Sauce will light up your taste buds. I love this sauce on an Easy Cuban Black Beans Buddha bowl! It's also great as a dipping sauce for the Hearty Breakfast Burrito, and drizzled on Veggie Tofu Scramble. The spicy hot flavor is complemented with sweetness from a date or Simple Homemade Date Syrup, making it beautifully balanced.
Spicy Chipotle Cream Sauce has 6 key ingredients
- Raw cashews
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Miso paste
- Pitted date (or Simple Homemade Date Syrup)
- Chipotle powder
How to Prepare this buddha bowl sauce
I use my Magic Bullet mini blender when I make this because it's so much easier to clean up. Also, the amount of sauce yielded in this recipe is not a huge batch, but just enough for a couple of meals.
- Put raw cashews and *pitted date into a small pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to soften.
- While cashews and date are simmering, grab your mini blender and add lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, miso paste, ¼ cup water, and chipotle powder to a mini blender. *Note: If you're using Simple Homemade Date Syrup, add it directly to the mini blender.
- Turn off the heat and carefully remove the date from the small pot and add it to the mini blender with other ingredients. Then drain and rinse cashews under cold water. Cashews should be soft and at room temperature or cool. Reducing the heat helps to keep from building up pressure in the mini blender.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy, about 45 to 60 seconds. If necessary, add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to thin out the consistency, and blend for another 15 seconds.
This buddha bowl sauce keeps well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Freezing is not recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cashews have a mild nutty flavor. Because cashew cream sauce has acid from the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, it mimics the taste of sour cream with a slight sweetness. This spicy cream sauce also has heat and a smoky flavor on top of it, further counterbalanced by the sweetness of the dates.
I'm a nutritionist, and I look to science when answering this question. When you compare the saturated fat, dietary cholesterol, and the research about other compounds in these two types of cream, homemade cashew cream comes out on top as being a healthier choice than the dairy-based cream you get from the grocery store.
Dairy-based sour cream has more than double the amount of saturated fat, approximately 20mg of dietary cholesterol (cashew-based has zero) per serving, and usually contains additives like carrageenan that may promote inflammation, and artificial preservatives like sodium phosphate commonly found in processed food that extend shelf life, but is not beneficial to human health. Furthermore, dairy naturally contains hormones explicitly designed for a calf and not humans. Studies show that ingesting these hormones is associated with a greater risk of prostate and breast cancers.
Cashew cream typically contains cashews, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Cashews are a good or excellent source of magnesium, copper, manganese, and zinc. Eating cashews and other nuts (and seeds), high in mono- and poly-unsaturated fatty acids, are associated with better health outcomes.
You can store leftover cashew cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freezing cashew cream is not recommended.
We hope you love this spicy chipotle buddha bowl sauce recipe. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
The four days will focus on:
Creating a God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.