Spectacular Sushi Salad is power-packed with flavor and vegan. It will give you all the bells and whistles that come with traditional sushi. This salad is topped with a sweet and slightly spicy Creamy Tahini Ginger Dressing. Trust me, if you love sushi, you're going to love this salad.
Have you ever been in the mood for homemade sushi but didn’t feel like rolling up your sleeves or the sushi, for that matter? This is how I felt when I created this Spectacular Sushi Salad. Talk about thinking outside the roll.
What Sushi Can Vegans Eat?
Merriam-Webster defines sushi as "cold rice dressed with vinegar, formed into any of various shapes, and garnished especially with bits of raw seafood or vegetables." So long as the rice is paired with plant-based ingredients—sans the fish and eggs—it can qualify as vegan sushi.
In addition to the ingredients in this recipe, vegan sushi can contain sliced beets, mango, asparagus, sweet potato, pear, mushrooms, and so much more. Vegan sushi can be very healthy, nutrient-dense, and delicious.
The great thing about this salad bowl is that you don’t have to skimp on what you put in the sushi roll; instead, you can enjoy the bountiful ingredients that can be as large or small as you want. This salad is packed with mixed greens and topped with baked tofu or shelled edamame.
Then it is loaded with shredded carrots, cucumbers, red onions, red peppers, black or brown rice, sliced ginger, raw broccoli, and of course, nori seaweed strips.
Spectacular Sushi Salad has 17 key ingredients:
- Mixed baby salad greens, chopped romaine or arugula
- Extra firm tofu (not silken) or shelled edamame
- Coconut aminos
- Nutritional yeast
- Black rice (brown or red rice works too)
- Nori seaweed sheets
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Creamy Tahini Ginger Dressing
How to Prepare
To prepare this bowl of deliciousness, start making the tofu and rice because you'll want these to cool to lukewarm or room temperature before adding to the salad.
- Rice: Cook black rice according to package instructions. Uncover, remove from heat, stir or fluff with a fork, and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Tofu: Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Take drained and patted dried tofu block and crumble into a large bowl. Stir in nutritional yeast and coconut aminos. Spread seasoned crumbled tofu onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the Salad: Use mixed baby salad greens, chopped romaine, or baby arugula as your salad base. Add rice and tofu. Then add nori seaweed and remaining veggies. Add optional toppings of sliced avocado and sesame seeds if using. Drizzle with Creamy Tahini Ginger Dressing and enjoy!
An easy way to ensure you get an even distribution of seaweed in your salad is to use kitchen scissors to cut into thin strips.
- Grab a clean (and dry) pair of kitchen scissors.
- Cut the nori sheet into four or five long strips.
- Stack the long strips and cut them into smaller bite-size strips as shown below.
This recipe includes my favorite sushi fillings, but you can sub out any ingredients with your favorite sushi roll fillings. The nori seaweed sheets and the Creamy Tahini Ginger Dressing tie this salad together. Trust me when I tell you, your taste buds cannot distinguish that you are not eating traditional sushi. The flavor and texture are on point!
This Spectacular Sushi Salad is super nutritious because of the variety of vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Seaweed is also a great way to add a source of iodine without reaching for the iodized table salt.
No judgment, 😊 but if you're someone who has to roll your sushi, check out the recipe Avocado Veggie Nori Rolls with Edamame. But for me and my household, this is my new favorite way of eating sushi.
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
You’ll also be invited to LIVE short sermons during the 4 days, in which we’ll be praying for:
A God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.