This fast and easy BBQ tempeh can make meal prep feel like a walk in the park. There are so many uses for this flavor-packed, protein-packed staple. This tempeh recipe is vegan, oil-free, gluten-free, nut-free, and delicious.
What you need to make this BBQ tempeh:
How to prepare
To prepare the BBQ tempeh, slice tempeh in to strips of desired thickness and length. Here, I've sliced the tempeh cake into quarters and cut them the down the middle into thinner strips.
The next step is to steam the tempeh. Steaming helps the tempeh to absorb the flavor of the sauce or marinade.
Add about an inch of water to a medium pot. Turn the heat on high. Carefully insert a steamer basket. Place the tempeh into the steamer basket. Put the lid on and allow the tempeh to steam for 5 minutes.
When the tempeh is done steaming, carefully remove the slices with tongs and place them into a dish for the next step.
This recipe uses about a cup of The Best Homemade BBQ Sauce. Generously coat the sliced tempeh and let it sit or marinate for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors from the sauce.
While the tempeh is marinating, preheat your grill, grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the coated tempeh onto the hot grill. Let it hang out for about 4 to 5 minutes and then turn and cook for another 2 minutes until heated through. Remove from grill, add some more sauce. This recipe makes between 2 to 4 servings depending on how you use the BBQ tempeh. Below are a few ideas. . .
Enjoy tacos with sprouted corn tortillas, the saucy tempeh topped with shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro and Ultimate Cashew Cream sauce or Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing (LOW-FAT). Add sliced avocado on top of a bed of salad greens with BBQ tempeh for an easy lunch or light dinner.
You could also crumble this tempeh and add it as a pizza topping. These slices also make a wonderful component to a buddha bowl paired with roasted sweet potato, steamed kale and your favorite whole grain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tempeh is a fermented soy bound together by mycelium compacted into cakes. Tempeh originated in Indonesia a few hundred years ago. It has a higher concentration of protein and fiber than tofu. Tempeh is also a good source of iron, manganese, magnesium and certain B-vitamins. Tempeh is available at most grocery stores in 8 ounce packages.
We use Homemade BBQ Sauce as the base because it's made with whole plant food ingredients. Store-bought typically has high fructose corn syrup and sodium benzoate. That's right; sodium benzoate is a food additive that extends its shelf life. It's banned in countries outside of the United States. Some side effects may include weight gain, inflammation, ADHD, headache, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, and mood changes.
The key to making tempeh is to first steam it and then allow it to marinade in a flavorful sauce. In addition to the Homemade BBQ sauce, the Stir Fry sauce makes a fantastic marinade for Asian inspired tempeh dishes.
Yes, tempeh marinates well, especially if it's steamed before placing it into the marinade.
Overall, tempeh is a great staple in the rotation because it's versatile, fast and easy to prepare and very satisfying. The BBQ sauce makes it sweet, tangy, saucy deliciousness. If you want more tempeh in your life, check out the Tempeh Stir Fry.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
Fast and Easy BBQ Tempeh
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This fast and easy BBQ tempeh can make meal prep feel like a walk in the park. There are so many uses for this flavor-packed, protein-packed staple. This tempeh recipe is vegan, oil-free, nut-free, and delicious.
- 1 8-oz. package of tempeh (if gluten sensitive, be sure to choose gluten-free)
- 1 cup The Best Homemade BBQ Sauce
- To prepare the BBQ tempeh, slice the tempeh cake into quarters and cut them the down the middle into thinner strips.
- The next step is to steam the tempeh. Steaming helps the tempeh to absorb the flavor of the sauce or marinade.
- Add about an inch of water to a medium pot. Turn the heat on high. Carefully insert a steamer basket. Place the tempeh into the steamer basket. Put the lid on and allow the tempeh to steam for 5 minutes.
- When the tempeh is done steaming, carefully remove the slices with tongs and place them into a dish with the Homemade BBQ Sauce. Generously coat the sliced tempeh and let it sit or marinate for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors from the sauce.
- While the tempeh is marinating, preheat your grill, grill pan, or skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the coated tempeh onto the hot grill. Let it hang out for about 4 to 5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 2 minutes until heated. Remove from the grill and add some more sauce. (Note: It's okay to use the sauce that the tempeh was marinating in.)
This recipe makes between 2 to 4 servings, depending on how you use the BBQ tempeh.
Leftovers store well in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
EQUIPMENT / SUPPLIES
- Cutting board
- Medium pot with lid
- Steamer basket (or steamer insert)
- Dish or bowl (to marinade)
- Grill or stovetop grill pan
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Lunch/Dinner Entrée
- Method: Stovetop & Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tempeh, soy, bbq tempeh tacos, bbq tempeh salad, fermented soy, bbq sauce, bbq tempeh, protein, daniel fast compliant, vegan, gluten free, gluten free option, nut free, fiber rich, daniel fast recipes, healthy vegan recipes
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
The 4 days will focus on:
Creating a God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
As you can probably tell, I am a taste tester for Daniel's Plate. A fantastic opportunity and blessing!
I loved the #BBQTempeh and #BlackEyedPeasAndGreens, so much so that I combined them into a sandwich! I know, right! Not what you are supposed to do, but it was excellent with their smoothie!
I am a vegan advocate, and this recipe hit all my priorities: taste, health, and sustainability!