This Sofritas Bowl is an elevated copycat of the bowl you'd get from Chipotle Mexican Grill. This bowl has five key components that work in harmony both nutritionally and with your taste buds: Sofritas, Perfect One-Ingredient Plantains, cilantro lime brown rice (or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice for a lighter meal), steamed kale, and sliced avocado.
There's so much versatility with the Sofritas recipe. Not only can it be used in a bowl, but it also makes an excellent base for tacos and burritos using Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas. It could be added to roasted potatoes to make a breakfast hash. Indeed, it could also be chilled to go on top of a salad. But we're going to focus on this mouthwatering Sofritas Bowl.
The key ingredients for this Sofritas Bowl are:
- Sofritas (VEGAN, OIL FREE)
- Perfect One-Ingredient Plantains
- Brown rice (I used short grain, but long grain works too)
Shredded purple cabbage and Ultimate Cashew Cream sauce are optional toppings for this bowl.
How to Prepare
- Make the Sofritas (VEGAN, OIL FREE) according to recipe instructions.
- Prepare the Perfect One-Ingredient Plantains (OIL FREE) according to recipe instructions.
- To make the cilantro lime brown rice, start by rinsing the rice in a fine, mesh strainer. If cooking rice in a rice cooker, add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of (rinsed) rice to the pot and turn it on. If cooking stovetop, combine 1 cup of brown rice with 2 cups of water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let it simmer covered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed (Note: since stovetops vary, it's a good idea to check it after 25 minutes). When rice is done cooking, uncover and fluff it with a fork. Stir in finely chopped cilantro and the juice from half a lime.
- To prepare the steamed kale, add ½ cup of water to a large sauté pan or pot and bring to a boil. Immediately add the chopped kale, cover, reduce heat to medium and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Kale should be bright green and slightly tender (not mushy). Uncover and remove it from heat so it doesn't keep cooking.
- Slice the avocado and shred purple cabbage (if using).
- Assemble bowl with all five components. Use the other half of the lime to squeeze fresh lime juice on all ingredients in the bowl. Drizzle with Ultimate Cashew Cream (if using), and enjoy!
This recipe makes four servings. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days. Just be sure to separate the avocado and store it in an airtight container since it turns brown within a few hours from oxidation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sofritas is a vegan protein option at the fast food restaurant Chiptole Mexican Grill. It's a braised tofu mixed with roasted peppers, onion, garlic, oil and other seasonings.
The ingredients that make up this sofritas recipe are healthy and nutrient-dense. Not only is this high in protein and fiber. It's also rich in several vitamins and minerals, including Vitamins K, C and several B-vitamins. It's also a good or excellent source of calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. This recipe omits the oil and uses 70% less sodium than the original Chipotle Mexican Grill version.
No. Sofritas is a plant-based vegan source of protein.
We hope you love this copycat Chipotle sofritas bowl as much as we do. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
The focus of the 4 days will be:
Creating a God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.