These vegan crab cakes are crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. They're gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, and absolutely delicious.
What are these vegan crab cakes made of?
- Hearts of palm
- Best Vegan Mayo
- Green onion
- Old Bay seasoning
- Celery seed
- Apple cider vinegar
- Nori sheet
- Dijon mustard
- Popped amaranth
The special ingredient that makes this recipe gluten-free is the popped amaranth instead of panko breadcrumbs. Amaranth is naturally gluten-free and similar to quinoa. This popped version makes a beautiful gluten-free substitute for breadcrumbs.
Because these are made in an air fryer or can be oven-baked, there is no need for oil. They crisp up beautifully and are tender inside. The seasonings and nori give these vegan crab cakes a seafood flavor, but without the seafood.
The main sauce for this recipe is a Vegan Crab Cake Sauce that uses a half batch of Best Vegan Mayo, plus diced dill pickle, fresh lemon juice, and fresh chopped dill (herb). This sauce is a vegan version of a traditional tarter sauce, but so much tastier. Again, it's oil-free, gluten-free and soy-free. If you like it spicy, add some Sriracha for a kick! But these are delicious on their own or dressed with a little fresh squeezed lemon juice.
How to prepare these vegan crab cakes
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.
- Drain, rinse and chop the hearts of palm into large chunks.
- Remove seeds from a jalapeno and mince.
- Place the chickpeas, hearts of palm, and jalapeno into a food processor and pulse a few times to combine and mash. Do not over-process it, though. You still want a chunky texture.
- Transfer the “crab” mixture into a large bowl. Add vegan mayo, chopped green onion, Old Bay seasoning, celery seed, paprika, cayenne, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, popped amaranth, and finely chopped nori (use clean kitchen scissor to snip nori or use nori flakes). Stir well to combine.
- Form vegan crab cake patties, about 2½ to 3 inches in diameter and place them either in the air fryer basket or on a parchment (or silicone mat) lined baking sheet if oven baking.
- In the air fryer: Set the air fryer to 380 F (190 C) and cook for 8 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until crispy.
- In the oven: Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 C). Bake for 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan crab cake sauce or Sriracha for extra heat, plus a side of fresh salad greens or romaine lettuce.
To make the Vegan Crab Cake Sauce, combine a quarter cup (or half batch of the Best Vegan Mayo), plus water, lemon juice, minced dill pickle and fresh chopped dill. This sauce is a vegan version of a traditional tarter sauce.
Can you freeze vegan crab cakes?
Absolutely! These vegan crab cakes store wonderfully in an airtight container in the freezer for up to four months. To reheat, just put the frozen crab cake into the air fryer and reheat at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes. Check for doneness and if necessary, continue cooking for another 3 to 5 minutes.
We hope you love these oil-free, and gluten-free vegan crab cake recipe. They're wonderful on a salad or in a wrap. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielsplaterecipes so we can see your creation!Print
JOIN THE MEAL PREP COOKING CLASS MEMBERSHIP
Let’s face it, staying consistent with your health goals starts in the kitchen. This meal prep cooking class will help you develop a routine of eating healthy foods so you can be successful long-term. You don’t have to be an expert chef or even love to cook; you just need the desire to eat healthy. It’s that simple!
RESET, RECONNECT, AND REALIGN
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.