This Curry-Spiced Mushroom Potato Soup takes mushroom potato soup to a whole new level. It's amazingly delicious, nutritious, easy on the waistline, and satisfying.
Let's start with the taste. This soup is spiced with yellow curry powder and Dijon mustard. The mushrooms provide an earthiness, while the potatoes give this soup a hearty, comforting bite. The umami notes come from the aminos. With just a dab of Simple Homemade Date Syrup, it provides a slightly sweet taste to compliment the spicy tang of the curry and Dijon mustard. Overall, it's a beautiful, comforting soup that won't make you feel weighed down.
Nutritionally, this soup is loaded with immune-boosting mushrooms. Mushrooms contain beta-D-glucan, which has been shown to increase IgA levels — an antibody that strengthens our immune system. One study showed that eating ⅓ cup of mushrooms each day will increase IgA production by over 50%!
The yellow curry powder contains curcumin (what gives it that yellow color). Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties that are boosted with the addition of black pepper.
With under 150 calories per bowl, it makes for a great starter for dinner or light lunch.
Curry-Spiced Mushroom Potato Soup (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE) has 10 key ingredients
- Mushrooms (I used cremini, but any kind will work)
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Yellow curry powder
- Black pepper
- Simple Homemade Date Syrup
- Dijon mustard
- Aminos (coconut or regular)
- Low sodium vegetable broth
How to Prepare
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and dry sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until slightly browned.
- Add chopped mushrooms, stir, and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. It may seem like a lot of mushrooms, but they'll cook down.
- Stir in chopped potatoes and carrots and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining spices and seasonings. Stir well to incorporate and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. The fragrance should be amazing!
- Pour in the low sodium vegetable broth and stir it to combine it with the spices, veggies, and mushrooms.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high to bring to a gentle boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer, put the lid on and cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- This next step is optional, but recommended for a creamier soup. "Fish" out approximately one cup of potatoes, carrots, onions, and broth combined, but not the mushrooms. Add it to a blender with a fill cap to allow the heat to escape. Loosen the lid if your blender doesn't have a fill cap to remove. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel so the heat can still escape but won't splatter the mixture all over your kitchen like some of us have done before. 🙋♀️ Then puree the mixture for about 10 seconds. Return the pureed mixture to the pot, stir well. Note: I do not recommend using a mini blender for this step unless the soup is cooled because the heat will create too much pressure in the container.
Garnish your soup with fresh chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro, and enjoy! If you have any leftovers, refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
To level-up this amazing soup up even more, consider adding a handful of chopped baby spinach or Swiss chard. Doing so, will give a big boost Vitamin K and smaller boost to Vitamins C and A.Print
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan & recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
You’ll also be invited to LIVE short sermons during the 4 days, in which we’ll be praying for:
A God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.