This Amazing Lentil Soup is one of my favorite go-to recipes for lunch or a light dinner.
NPR described Lentils as a "legume of all ages" dating as far back as 8000 B.C. Its believed that Daniel's lifetime around 600 B.C. would have included lentils as part of his meal plan.
This soup is spiced with curry, cumin, coriander and crushed red pepper. The fire-roasted tomatoes adds to the deep flavors in this delicious and satisfying soup. While the lemon provides a nice bright acid note.
Amazing Lentil Soup (VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, OIL-FREE) has 14 key ingredients:
- Ground cumin
- Curry powder
- Dried thyme
- Crushed red pepper
- Coconut aminos
- Diced tomatoes (recommend fire-roasted)
- Brown or green lentils, dry
- Low-sodium vegetable broth
- Collard greens or kale
How to Prepare
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Dry-sauté onions for 4–5 minutes, adding a dash of water if they stick to the pan. Stir in the carrots, garlic, cumin, curry, coriander, thyme, crushed red pepper, and coconut aminos, and cook for another 1–2 minutes. Add in the diced tomatoes and stir until well incorporated.
- Add the lentils, broth, and water into the pot, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes until lentils are tender.
- To give the soup a creamy texture, carefully transfer about 2 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Use the lid and blend at a low setting. Pour the pureed soup back into the pot and stir.
- Bring the soup back to a gentle boil, add finely chopped kale (or collard greens), and give it a good stir. Continue to cook for 2 minutes until kale has softened and is bright green. Turn off the heat and stir in lemon juice, garnish with a tiny pinch of lemon zest and serve.
Eating this soup is as comforting as being wrapped in a warm blanket on a cold rainy day. This lentil soup is far from bland. The spices give it tons of flavor! It tastes good going down and makes you feel good afterward. The nutrient density of this soup is off the charts, while the low-calorie density doesn't leave you feeling guilty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Eating lentils and other legumes like beans are good for weight loss. Lentils are high in fiber and protein, while being low in fat. This aids in weight loss because the fiber and protein help you to feel fuller, without adding excessive calories from fat. The fiber in lentils and other legumes also influences gut health through the production of short chain fatty acids that can influence your hunger and satiety hormones further aiding in weight loss. If you want to learn more about the role of fiber in gut health and weight loss, check out the book, Fiber Fueled by gastroenterologist Dr. Will Bulsiewicz.
Yes, they are very nutritious—high in fiber, protein, iron, potassium, Vitamin B6, and other micronutrients.
Store the leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you don't plan to eat it within a few days, this soup freezes well. This soup makes a great meal prep idea. Just portion out and store in the freezer for up to four months. To reheat from frozen, either thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in a pot. Alternatively, microwave at a low (defrost) setting for about 4 minutes. Stir the soup and then return it to the microwave for reheating at full power for 2 to 3 minutes or until warmed through.
If you like spicy heat, be sure to check out this North African Chickpeas Soup made with harissa. Oh mama, it's delish!
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan with recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
A God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
Shop for Ingredients
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.