This one-pot North African Chickpea Soup has become my family's new "go-to" meal. It packs a good amount of flavor, checks the boxes on nutritional density, is satisfying, and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It's vegan, oil-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, and delicious!
This soup could be a lunch entrée or a light dinner that will leave you satisfied without feeling overly stuffed.
North African Chickpea Soup has 11 key ingredients:
- Yellow onion
- Ground coriander
- Ground cinnamon
- Harissa powder or seasoning
- Low-sodium vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
What is harissa seasoning?
The main seasoning in this recipe is harissa—a spice commonly used in the North African countries of Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco.
Harissa seasoning ingredients can vary but typically include paprika, caraway, coriander, cumin, chili pepper, cayenne, garlic, and mint.
Little did I know or appreciate how many different harissa powders and pastes there are. Some have added oil, while others do not.
Let me share some background on the harissa confusion I had.
When I first made this recipe, I used a bottle of harissa powder in my pantry four years past the expiration date. It was a store-brand version that packs a good amount of heat but was stale. I then ordered a harissa powder from one of my (now) favorite online stores that I started using during the pandemic quarantine. This brand of harissa powder is mild, but buried deep in the ingredients list has oil. Sadly, neither are any of the harissa pastes I found.
But the winner is what Sersie used during one of our cook & chat... girls' night in! which is the McCormick brand harissa seasoning. It packs heat and flavor without added oil. Other oil-free seasoning brands include Morton and Bassett Harissa, Frontier Co-Op, and Simply Organic. Of course, if added oil is not a concern to you, feel free to use whatever brand you want.
How to Prepare this One-Pot North African Chickpea Soup
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and dry (or water) sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and spices, and stir until well combined. Cook for 1 minute. It should smell amazing!
- Add in low-sodium vegetable broth and chickpeas. Bring soup to a gentle boil, and then add kale or other dark leafy greens and saffron (if using). Carefully stir to incorporate, cover the pot, and turn off the heat to allow greens to wilt. The greens will be al dente—cooked but firm when you bite into them.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and lemon zest, and enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or freeze this soup for up to 4 months.
A special thanks to Marie for sharing a version of this recipe. ❤️
Other soup recipes to check out
- Amazing lentil soup is packed with protein and low in fat
- White bean and kale soup is also high in protein and low in fat
- Miso soup with mushrooms is light, healing and nutrient-dense
- Curry spiced mushroom potato soup is hearty, low fat and flavorful
- 7-Minute black bean soup is a go-to favorite when needing something protein-packed fast
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
FREE #PFYH 4-Day Challenge
A Prayer for Your Health 4-Day Daniel Fast challenge will nudge you in the direction of taking those first steps from the rut of an unhealthy lifestyle to taking control of your health.
What you’ll get:
- Access to a private FB community
- Know-how & info with an instructional guide
- Inspiration through daily scripture
- Motivation with journal prompts
- Actionable steps with sample meal plan with recipes
- Encouraging daily emails to help strengthen you along the way
- Success strategy from additional resources and information
Each of the four days will have a specific focus:
A God-centered self-image (Day 1)
Breaking our addiction to food (Day 2)
Breaking generational cycles of poor health (Day 3)
The courage to take action (Day 4)
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.