This Vegan Tuna Salad recipe has become a new favorite! It can be used in so many different ways, from just eating on its own with a fork to making sushi, lettuce wraps, tortilla wraps, big salad, tacos, and everything in between.
I first learned of this tuna salad made from carrots, of all things, from the powerhouse Mr. Joshua Black (aka Urban Black Vegan). He came onto our monthly LIVE show, cook & chat... girls' night in! Check out the replay, and give him a follow on Instagram and Facebook:
If you're in the Philly area, check out his food truck, Flat Belly Veg, where you can enjoy chef Joshua's carrot tuna salad first hand.
This Vegan Tuna Salad is nutrient-packed!
As a licensed nutritionist, I get excited when I find a recipe that is not only delicious but nutrient-packed. What makes this vegan tuna salad superior are the abundance of micronutrients, antioxidants, and phytochemicals.
The main ingredient is carrots, an excellent source of beta carotene—an antioxidant beneficial for eye health, immune system, and maintaining healthy organs like your heart, lungs, and kidneys. The seaweed provides iodine, a mineral not found in abundance in the vegan diet unless you're eating sea vegetables on the regular. The mushroom powder, onions, red bell pepper, and other veggies and herbs you can add elevate this to a status that leaves traditional tuna salad floundering.
Vegan Tuna Salad has 10 key ingredients
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper
- Pickles and pickle juice
- Seaweed (nori)
- Fresh herbs (cilantro, dill, parsley)
- Mushroom power (optional, but highly recommended)
- Easy Vegan Mayo or Best Vegan Mayo
I have the mushroom powder as optional, only because I don't want you not to make this if you don't have mushroom powder. But I highly recommend it because it does influence the taste, but also for the nutritional benefits. As a competitive cyclist, I use cordyceps because it may have particular benefits for endurance athletes. But if you want an allrounder mushroom power, check out this Superfood Mushroom blend.
How to Prepare Vegan Tuna Salad
- This recipe starts by preparing the carrots. I've made this two ways: using a blender and a juicer. Joshua recommends a juicer, and I agree. The carrots shreds come out dryer than a blender with a nut bag, but if you don't have a juicer, the blender is a great substitute.
- Juicer method: Put carrots into the juicer. Use the shreds for the recipe. Check out the video below. You'll want to pick out any large chunks and just eat those. For the juice, just drink that on it's own or add some ginger, lemon juice or add an apple after you've removed the carrot shreds though.
- Blender method: Put chopped carrots into the blender with a little water (about ¼ to ⅓ cup) to help process the carrots. After blending to a shredded consistency, use a nut bag and a large bowl to remove the moisture. Save the juice for drinking or adding to a smoothie.
- Combine shredded carrots and all other ingredients into a large bowl and stir well to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Of course, if you want more tang, add more pickle juice or diced pickle. If you want more fishy flavor, add more seaweed (see Pro Tip below). If you want more oniony flavor, add more red onion or throw in some chopped green onion.
Use clean kitchen scissors to "finely chop" the nori seaweed sheet. It's significantly faster, easier and safer than trying to use a knife.
Enjoy this vegan tuna salad on its own or on top of a bed of mixed greens. You can also add it to romaine lettuce for lettuce wraps for a light lunch or dinner. This vegan tuna salad makes a wonderful filling for a sushi roll with brown rice and sliced avocado.
We hope you love this oil-free, low fat vegan mayo. Please rate and leave a comment below. Be sure to share a picture on Instagram and tag us @danielfastrecipes so we can see your creation!Print
Reset, Reconnect, and Realign
Packed with daily devotionals, nutritional tips, journal prompts, and inspirational quotes, A Prayer for Your Health Journal will help you create a God-centered vision for your health. This journal provides practical tools and spiritual guidance to bring physical, mental, and spiritual health back into your life. It will inspire you to reset your body and energize your walk with God.
As an Amazon Associate, we receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.