This Vegan Ackee dinner is an example of honoring cultural heritage while maintaining a whole food, plant-based nutrition plan. Ackee is a staple in Jamaica. This fruit cooked and simmered with onions, tomatoes, peppers, and the scotch bonnet pepper is a delight to the soul. Served with steamed spinach, plantains, quinoa or rice, and avocado, this Vegan Ackee is a pleasurable and nutritious experience. #ackee #veganackee #jamaicanvegan #healthyveganrecipes #danielfastrecipes
- 1 can of ackee
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper thinly sliced. (optional half green half red/or yellow)
- 2 scallions (green onion) chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper (seed removed) or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of scotch bonnet pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth, separated
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 stalks of fresh thyme stems removed
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 avocado (optional)
- 1 cup quinoa (or brown or red rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 plantain, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable broth or water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh spinach (2 large bunches)
Open the ackee can and pour it into a strainer. Lightly rinse for a few seconds with water and let drain.
Pour ¼ cup of vegetable broth into the pan to sauté onions, garlic, and thyme until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the tomato, sweet peppers, scotch bonnet, scallions and cook for about 3-4 minutes; add more vegetable broth as needed.
Add ackee to the pan and add a little more veggie broth to give it a little moisture.
Stir the ackee VERY GENTLY, may only with about a few stirs.
Turn down the pot to low and let simmer for about 5 minutes with minimal stirring; add a little veggie broth if getting dry.
Remove from stove, sprinkle with black pepper and salt (optional) to taste.
In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed by the quinoa (about 15 minutes). Turn off heat, let sit it for 2 to 3 minutes, and fluff with a fork.
See Perfect One-Ingredient Plantain
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water to keep the garlic from sticking to the pan—cook for a minute. Add fresh spinach, cover, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Lunch/Dinner Entrée
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: ackee vegan, ackee vegan and saltfish, ackee vegan recipe, ackee fruit, ackee vegan dish, vegan, quinoa, plantain, spinach, daniel fast compliant, daniel fast recipes, caribbean, jamaican cuisine, gluten free, nut free, soy free