5 medium Yukon gold potatoes
3 cloves garlic
¼ to ½ cup unsweetened plain soy milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 Tbsp aminos (or reduced sodium tamari soy sauce)
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried rosemary
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup dried brown or green lentils, picked through and rinsed
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup frozen peas
½ cup frozen corn
Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, chives, parsley) for garnish
- Chop Yukon gold potatoes (with skin on), and add to a pot of water, so the water covers the potatoes by an inch or two.
- Smash garlic cloves, but leave whole, and add to the pot with potatoes and water.
- Boil the potatoes and garlic over medium-high heat uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes and garlic and return them to the pot.
- Add ¼ cup of the unsweetened, plain soy milk to the drained potato garlic mixture. Using a hand mixer, whip potatoes until creamy. If potatoes are too stiff, add another few tablespoons of soy milk until desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Dry sauté the chopped onion for about 4 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add chopped mushrooms and carrots and continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes. If veggies stick, add a splash of water.
- Stir in seasonings (aminos, black pepper, dried thyme, dried rosemary) and tomato paste. Continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. It should smell quite lovely.
- Add dried lentils and low sodium vegetable broth to the saute pan. Stir well, and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring lentils and veggies to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and continue to cook until lentils are tender about 30 minutes. During the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, stir in frozen peas and corn. Don’t worry if the peas are still cold; they’ll finish up in the oven.
- Add lentil and veggie mixture to a 7×11 casserole dish or 9×9 or 8×8 square baking pan. Spoon on prepared garlic mashed potatoes. Bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until mashed potatoes start to brown and the lentil veggie mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Lunch/Dinner Entrée
Keywords: vegan shepherds pie, lentil shepherds pie, lentils, potatoes, mushrooms, carrot, onion, garlic, aminos, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, peas, corn, no oil, oil free, daniel fast compliant, daniel fast recipes, whole food plant based, healthy thanksgiving dinner, low fat, comfort food, gluten free, nut free