This Red Lentil Dal recipe is vegan and super easy to pull together. It's great on it's own or over rice. If you want to take it up a notch, wilt a handful of baby spinach or chopped rainbow chard and top with diced tomato. But you can't go wrong with this dish. It's loaded with protein, fiber, iron, and zinc. #redlentildal #healthyveganrecipes #healthycomfortfood #danielfastrecipes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, minced or grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
- Crushed red pepper flakes for heat (optional)
- Preheat a large sauté (or sauce) pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and dry sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon to the pan. Stir well and continue cooking for another 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in rinsed and drained red lentils, and water. Turn the heat up to high and bring lentils to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon zest.
- Dish up and top with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley. For heat, add crushed red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
EQUIPMENT / SUPPLIES:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Large sauté or sauce pan with lid
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch/Dinner Entrée
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: red lentil dal vegan, red lentil dal recipe, healthy vegan recipes, daniel fast recipes, red lentils, onion, garlic, lemon, ginger, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, coriander, dal recipe, healthy comfort food, soy free, nut free, gluten free, oil free, no oil, low fat