This Curry-Spiced Mushroom Potato Soup takes mushroom potato soup to a whole new level. It's amazingly delicious, nutritious, easy on the waistline, and satisfying. This delicious soup is vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and low-fat.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cups chopped mushrooms (any works, but I used cremini)
- 3 cups chopped Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 to 4 medium-sized potatoes)
- 1 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Simple Homemade Date Syrup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and dry sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until slightly browned.
- Add chopped mushrooms, stir, and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. It may seem like a lot of mushrooms, but they'll cook down.
- Stir in chopped potatoes and carrots and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining spices and seasonings. Stir well to incorporate and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. The fragrance should be amazing!
- Pour in the low sodium vegetable broth and stir it to combine it with the spices, veggies, and mushrooms.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high to bring to a gentle boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer, put the lid on and cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- This next step is optional, but recommended for a creamier soup. "Fish" out approximately one cup of potatoes, carrots, onions, and broth combined, but not the mushrooms. Add it to a blender with a fill cap to allow the heat to escape. Loosen the lid if your blender doesn't have a fill cap to remove. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel so the heat can still escape but won't splatter the mixture all over your kitchen like some of us have done before. 🙋♀️ Then puree the mixture for about 10 seconds. Return the pureed mixture to the pot, stir well. Note: I do not recommend using a mini blender for this step unless the soup is cooled because the heat will create too much pressure in the container.
Garnish your soup with fresh chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro and enjoy! If you have any leftovers, refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
EQUIPMENT / SUPPLIES
- Cutting board
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Large pot with lid
- Cooking spoon
- Blender (optional, but recommended)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom potato soup, weight loss soup, mushroom potato soup vegan, no dairy, easy soup, potato and mushroom soup, yellow curry, cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, carrot, onion, dijon mustard, yukon gold potatoes, comforting soup, low fat, no oil, oil free, healthy vegan recipes, daniel fast recipes, gluten free, soy free, nut free